Family Self Sufficiency
Kingsport Housing & Redevelopment Authority is dedicated to empowering families in their efforts to overcome barriers and achieve self-sufficiency and economic independence. The Public Housing and Housing Choice Voucher Family Self Sufficiency (FSS) Programs brings together training, education, and supportive service resources to assist families in obtaining employment that will lead to economic independence and self-sufficiency.
The Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) Program is a voluntary five (5) year program in which an Individual Training and Services Plan is developed with each participant to design a clear path of specific goals and objectives in order to achieve living wage employment and gain economic self-sufficiency. Participating families are required to sign a Contract of Participation with KHRA that outlines the services to be provided and the obligations required during participation. Throughout the five year contract, a FSS case manager monitors a participant’s progress and assists the participant by providing referrals and services so they may successfully complete each level on their journey to self-sufficiency.
What is the Family Self-Sufficiency (FSS) Program?
The Public Housing and Housing Choice Voucher Family Self Sufficiency (FSS) Programs brings together training, education, and supportive service resources to assist families in obtaining employment that will lead to economic independence and self-sufficiency.
What services are provided through the FSS program?
FSS program services may include, but are not limited to:
- Individual Case Management
- Education and Training
- Career Planning and Development
- Resume writing
- Interviewing Skills
- Job search and referrals
- Financial Planning and Budgeting
- Escrow Savings Account
- Preparations for Homeownership
What families are eligible to participate in the FSS program?
- Be a Resident in the Public Housing Program or a Participant in the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Program
- Be in good standing with the Public Housing or HCV Program (including being compliant with all Program rules and regulations)
- Have a genuine desire to change
- Sign a five-year contract
- Agree to maintain regular contact with assigned FSS case manager
- Agree to make measurable progress toward goals
How do families apply to the FSS program?
If you are interested in applying for the Family Self Sufficiency (FSS) Program please contact: